Interest Surges in Loft Conversions During Coronavirus Pandemic
Latest research by Pasquill shows that Google searches for loft conversions rose by over 200% during the first UK national lockdown (1 March – 31 July).
At the same time, searches for the home office setup increased by 170% as office workers were encouraged to work from home by the UK Government.
- British homeowners were using Google as a resource for inspiration when planning their loft conversion.
- Another big change saw 15% of people in England spending more on home improvement during the coronavirus lockdown.
- Interest in planning permission rose unexpectedly with over 150% increase in searches around the rules and regulations when converting a loft. With an 80% increase of people looking to convert their lofts with a DIY approach.
- With a 170% rise in searches around ‘home office setup’ alongside this, homeowners were looking to increase the workspace inside their property without increasing the property footprint as they spend more time at home.
- The data could also suggest more people were looking to add value to their property as the housing market opened back up for sales and lets.
- Chris Powell, Sales Director at Pasquill, said: “This data strongly indicates that homeowners are looking for more long term home improvement options, particularly ones that create more living space. With many people working from home indefinitely, loft conversions are an ideal and relatively affordable way to build a home office.”
The data is collated from Google Trends, Google Keyword Planner and the YouGov website.
See the full data below:
|Search Term||Percentage Increase in Searches |
(1st Mar-31st Jul)
|Average Cost of a Loft Conversion||170%|
|Attic Conversion Cost||120%|
|Attic Conversion Ideas||100%|
|DIY Loft Conversion||80%|
|Do you need planning permission for a loft conversion||150%|
|Loft Extension Ideas||60%|
|House Extension Ideas||50%|
|Home Improvement Ideas||56%|
|Furniture & Home Improvement – Spending Somewhat More||16%|
|Wales – Spending Somewhat More||26%|
|England – Spending Somewhat More||15%|
|Scotland – Spending Somewhat More||18%|
|Google Keyword Planner|
|Home Office Essentials||500%|
|Home Office Setup||170%|
|House Extensions London||250%|
|Do I need planning permission for a loft conversion||90%|
|Planning permission for loft conversion||40%|